Confused - For Wildlife, what's the rational for the 400 f/4.5

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
EricK214 Senior Member • Posts: 1,380
Re: Confused - For Wildlife, what's the rational for the 400 f/4.5

Friedrich von Horsten wrote:

hi shuncheung,

For wildlife photography in Africa, especially from a vehicle, you seldom need 500/600mm + 1.5 factor unless you are doing birds far away, or very distant animals, with lots of distortion from heat haze etc.

I use D500 + 300mm f4 PF in Kruger park, Kgalagadi and Serengeti, and seldom need more.

A 400mm f4.5 + DX would reach the outer limit of most needs, but then a smaller zoom like 70-300mm f4 or 70-200mm f2.8 on a second body would be vital for those times when especially predators come walking down the road towards you. In fact, I often switch to my Z50 + 50-250 for that moment, but even the 50 is sometimes a bit too much for real close encounters with cats.

So for me this 400mm f4.5 seems just perfect for slightly more distant subjects.

God bless from Africa,

Friedrich von Hörsten

The D500 is an APS-C camera with a 1.5x crop to that 300mm has a 450mm FOV on a full frame camera. So you are still talking about using a lens that is over the 400mm f4.5 focal length. The 400mm on a DX camera is 600mm.

If you plan to put the 400 f4.5 on a DX camera you are putting on a body that will not be very good for action shots of wildlife/BIF. So with it being a Z lens, most will want it for a Full frame camera like a Z6/7 (II) or likely the Z9, not a DX body

-- hide signature --

Eric
Wildlife/BIF Hunter: Nikon Z9 is my weapon of choice, the 500mm f5.6 PF is my ammo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nikondoesabodygood/

EricK214's gear list:EricK214's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow