Confused - For Wildlife, what's the rational for the 400 f/4.5

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
EricK214 Senior Member • Posts: 1,378
Re: Tennis, French Open and Wimbledon

shuncheung wrote:

EricK214 wrote:

There is a pretty large distinction between sports and wildlife photography for camera and lenses. Choosing a lens for sports, you generally setup your position in relation to where you know where your subjects will be. NFL, Baseball, motorsports and Olympics. in this manner you will be shooting at a known distance in most cases. You can choose the lens focal length that will fill the frame or fill it to the point you want. This is also why sports cameras are usually lower MP FF sensors (lower pixel density), smaller files sizes for uploading on the fly, better low light performance and no cropping needed.

Not sure how many of you watch tennis coverage on TV. I was watching the French Open coverage a few weeks ago. Apparently plenty of pros on court side use Nikon, but those are all D6 (or perhaps some D5, no enough resolution on TV for me to tell). I couldn't find any Z9. Lenses are mostly 180-400/4 AF-S VR and some shorter lenses such as 70-200 and perhaps 24-70. Some are Canons and those are also DSLRs.

Essentially it is the same for Wimbledon this week.

Lenses: no 400/2.8 Z or 800/6.3 Z.

That is exactly my point in a nutshell

-- hide signature --

Eric
Wildlife/BIF Hunter: Nikon Z9 is my weapon of choice, the 500mm f5.6 PF is my ammo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nikondoesabodygood/

EricK214's gear list:EricK214's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow