Sony a7R IV "Pixel Shift" vs. Fuji GFX 100MP

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kemist Regular Member • Posts: 160
Sony a7R IV "Pixel Shift" vs. Fuji GFX 100MP

I've never had a camera with pixel shift and the examples posted online always looked soft and degraded. Sony a7R IV's "pixel shift" images looked about the same on DPReview's Studio Scene. I downloaded the jpeg made from the 16 image hi res mode.

I tried sharpening it with Photoshop Smart Sharpen and it brought up multicolor pixels on contrasty edges with anything other than the absolute lowest sharpening. I downsized it slightly (with Photoshop using Bicubic Sharper) and brought it into Gigapixel AI - seeing if I could firm up those soft edges.

The most I could upsize it was 2.12 X (the max for this size image in Gigapixel). I was surprised to see that in comparison to Fuji's 100mp medium format jpeg the Sony's pixel shift image (processed in Gigapixel) was quite a bit more detailed - not just fake detail either.

In all of these comparisons - the Fuji 100mp is on the Left and the Sony pixel shift is on the right.

I've opened the images in Preview and aligned them side by side in separate windows - magnifying the Fuji 11,648 x 8736 pixel images to be approx. the same size as the upsized Sony 32,000 x 21,316 pixel images. And took screenshots. The moiré on many of the Fuji images would limit their upsizing.

The Fuji 100mp is on the Left and the Sony pixel shift is on the right.

Here are the settings used in Gigapixel.  You can see the before and after sizes at the bottom.

Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow