RESULTS ** Mini-Challenge #673 - Before and After **

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 9,095
RESULTS ** Mini-Challenge #673 - Before and After **

As noted in the initial rules blurb, HM's were selected only from Exhibits; and Places only from Entries. As usual, there were some exhibits I would have liked to see as entries; and there were also a number of entries that would have received HM's if they were exhibits, but rules, unfortunately, are rules. If I ever do this again, I will reconsider that rule and allow HM's from Entries.

The Honorable Mentions in no particular order are:

Val's Jerusalem man - cropping and a B&W conversion making for a much better image.

Jerry045's moon over Charlotte - a bit cartoony, but cool.

And his turning a photo into a painting without using a pre-fab "painting" setting on a post-processing program. I wish this had been an entry.

10sTroy's heavily cropped and detailed hawk:

Vitalisvitalis's bird house exhibit added birds to allow the viewer to experience what he did when he took the pic, even though the camera didn't see that - exactly what I had in mind, but it was an exhibit.

Places: I'm afraid I wasn't clear about the theme of this challenge, as witnessed by getting some questions and requests for clarification. Most of the exhibits/entries were examples of minor adjustments, B&W conversions, cropping and the like. Yes, those all made for much better images and I've obviously included the best of those as HM's.

What I had in mind was something different - CHANGING an image in post-processing to add something or take something away to give a viewer a better understanding of what you were really seeing/feeling that day than the OOC shot could, but all without creating something patently false or cartoony looking; or something just using the pre-fab "art" settings on an imaging program. So, humble apologies for not articulating this more succinctly. Since I wasn't clear enough, I included images in Places even though they did not fully exemplify what I was hoping to see.

Three way tie for Third place - all excellent post-processed images, all much different than the OOC images they came from, but not exactly on theme because they didn't remove or add any elements.

Hwvlover's heavily cropped and carefully detailed red flying ant:

Ab S's heavily cropped and nicely converted and detailed munchkin man:

New Guy 1776's cropped and nicely vignetted monk:

Second Place:

JerryR's Honfleur, France is a perfect example of what I had in mind. He showed what his mind saw that day, not only what his camera "saw", by the simple expedient of adding a sky. He already had clouds reflected in the water in the OOC image, so he didn't even have to mess with that.

First Place:

Ed Form created this piece of art by totally eliminating the background and thereby focusing attention on the subject of this exquisite B&W conversion:

Finally, I am pleased to be able to award a coveted Dishonorable (or Dishonourable for our friends across the pond) Mention to our good friend and B&W light painting master, KBTinto. Not only did he admit that doesn't know how he got the image, he used a pre-fab Elements setting for post-processing. Perhaps a new world record for DM's.

Thanks to all who participated; and, again, apologies for the confusion.  I look forward to your challenge, Ed.

Greg

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow