OM 80 mm macro for slide digitizing?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EspE1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,415
OM 80 mm macro for slide digitizing?

I'm beginning to plan for (the long postponed ...) large slide digitizing operation.

Currently I've available for the operation the digital lenses m43 60 mm macro and the 4/3 50 mm macro (which could possibly also get the the m43 30 mm added, as it is recommended by several being well suited for slides digitizing).

However, I also do have available the old OM 80 mm macro (and the OM 50 mm macro) with the necessary bellows and also slide duplicator. (The duplicator/holder is not so interesting for reasons I'll comment on below.)

The 80 mm, which was optimized in particular for 1:1 magnification recordings with OM 35 mm cameras (range 2:1 - 1:2), raises a couple of questions:

1. While the 80 mm was considered a very sharp lens for the 1:1 tasks in the analog days, how is its resolving power and resolution capability now compared with new macro lenses for digital?

2. If used with a 43/m43 sensor, the 80 mm can only render 1:1 at the extreme end of its focusing range, which is not optimal. Combine that with the the 3:2 aspect ratio of the slides differing from the m43 sensors, and the question becomes:

If the answer to question 1 is favourable enough, could a wise strategy then be simply to buy a used FF camera (and an OM adaptor) for the digitizing act? If so, do you immediately have any suggestion for a suited camera? (Given that it will be sold again when finished, it's mainly a question of quality vs market risk when selling again, than price per se.)

(As for slide duplicators, I once read an article here on dp that argued against the use of cumbersome slide duplicators/holders. It argued to rather lay the slides in a simple low frame on a lighted plane like a light table or flashed diffuser screen and have the camera pointed downwards to it. Then one could (working in a darkened room) very easily and quickly shift the slides by pushing one out with the new one entering (-- "slides" isn't it ?).
Sounds wise to me.)

EspE1's gear list:EspE1's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +19 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow