Nikon F-mount 500mm PF performance on Z9 vs. Native Z 400’s

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 6,540
Nikon F-mount 500mm PF performance on Z9 vs. Native Z 400’s

So as a relatively new Nikon shooter with the Z9 I was definitely fixated on first the native Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S and with the now the new Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S and wondering what to do.

I had convinced myself as a new user I wanted to avoid adapting an F mount lens so I ignored the F-mount 500mm f/5.6 PF. But I am now questioning my judgement and that decision. Is the adapted 500/5.6 the best of the bunch? I know there are plenty long time Nikon owners that are doing it and it appears that unless they seek  the new 800mm that is their plan.

Is the 500/5.6 PF the best of the bunch or just a stop gap solution until Nikon puts out a Z mount native version some time in the future? I value you opinions so please share.

Thank you for your time.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R IV Canon EOS R5 Sony a7C Sony a1 +51 more
Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow