Left Weighted S1?

Started Jun 24, 2022 | Discussions thread
MacroMatic
MacroMatic Regular Member • Posts: 334
Re: Left Weighted S1?

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I am perfectly happy with my S1. I don't need to change.

However when using heavy lenses on the S1 I have noticed some strain on my right wrist. I am well aware of using the left hand to support the lens and am not an "out of balance" complainer. However just picking up the S1 compared to my G9 makes the left biased body weight very obvious by comparison.

Swapping to a smaller lighter lens does not make any appreciable difference - it is not the lens weight as more the the body weight bias - even though the lenses themselves must have something to do with it.

By comparison if there is any left-bias on the G9 it is not noticeable in use. Even with large lenses.

Why might this be so? - I can only think that it is the leverage caused by the centreline difference between the lens mount and the camera grip. Roughly 60mm on the G9 and 70mm on the S1. One might not have thought that this relatively small distance would make that much difference to the feel of the camera body in hand. The S1 of course provides an impressively large evf and the overall weight of the body is 899gm compared to the G9 "lightweight" 658gm. Furthermore I have no idea of the relative placement of weightier components inside the bodies.

It is just that when I pick up the S1 it immediately seems to try and rotate my wrist to the the left but with the G9, even with a substantial lens on board, the feel is 'perfect balance'.

I talk about the G9 because I have had one since first introduction and I really like it. I can compare my S1 and G9 directly.

The purpose of this post is to see if other S1/S1R users have noticed the left weighted bias of these cameras and whether the S5 feels better balanced considering that it has similar dimensions to the G9 (slightly more compact) and only a slightly heavier build at 714gm.

I guess that the S5 is similarly balanced in the hand as the G9 (ie: excellent) and perhaps this is the reason why it gets many plaudits from its devoted users rather than simply its lighter weight and physical size.

With the near perfect ergonomics of the S1 this is about the only 'complaint' I can raise. The physical weight does not bother me. Perhaps I have weak wrists?

I think as others have pointed out,  it's just the overall weight and it's probably a bit deceptive of how that weight is distributed. That and your wrists may be noticing the added weight more, my wrists aren't that great anymore at middle age.

Regarding the G9 comparison.

I had the G9 and only truly appreciated the ergonomics fully when I moved to other bodies. I have stated ever since that,  for me at least,  the G9 is the best ergonomically designed camera I have ever used,  both in terms of weight, feel and button layout/ number.

The S5 was lacking in that department when I changed, though it's still a great camera.

With that said,  I am now suffering from a love affair with the S1 😆. It's the camera I've longed for without realising it.  The weight is noticeable, but I do forget about it after a short period.  I do think you're right about the perceived weight distribution, as it does feel to me the same as you describe.  But again, I think it's just deceiving.

I'm currently using nearly 3kg of Canon lens on the S1, handheld,  so when I use smaller lenses, the S1 'appears' deceptively light 😂.

-- hide signature --

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets. For it, and knowledge,  can raise men to the divine" - Beathoven

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow