Win 8.1 to 10: extreme headache

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
plantdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 4,229
Win 8.1 to 10: extreme headache

Finally, as holdout, I decided to upgrade from functional 8.1 to 10 for security updates. I splurged and bought the download update directly from Microsoft. I was working with a tech via chat during the process. I launched the upgrade and selected keep current system not clean install. All seem to proceed just fine until the later stage when the prompt indicates the system may reboot. Up pops a warning box indicating the install has failed. No codes or other clues. Next, on to 4-5 "tech" support people via chat and phone calls and often going in repeat circles. Finally, seems clear to me that "tech support" has no way or knowledge on how to debug the problem. After nearly 5 hours of going nowhere, I finally ask about a refund. Tech says that going from 8.1 to 10 only works with a clean install. Really? Why does the update still offer a choice? Not really interested in a clean install and trying to reconstruct all the software, and add ons etc. Gone are the days of install disks. Everything is a download with codes and then many updates. Most of that stuff was lost in an accident. However, I do have a Macrium clone. I requested a refund. If I want to restart from scratch, I would buy a new system. I know security updates quit in about 5 months. My solution is to simply disconnect the image PC setup from the internet. I only use the internet to access software updates, which I can live without. Note, my PC system is more than capable for Win 10 requirement. For secure internet access, I love my Chromebooks. Sorry for the long story. Bummed and tired.

Greg

Greg

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow