Single capture full HDR. Why sensors don't sample on long exposure?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SrGeneroso New Member • Posts: 1
Single capture full HDR. Why sensors don't sample on long exposure?

Let's describe a simple scene, you shoot with a long exposure until everything is clip on white, then you come back to your computer and in the editor you drag a slider to go back in the exposure time taking snapshots of different times in the picture, as say, when it was 1/1000, 1/100, 1 and 2 seconds. That would be full hdr with a single picture using technology that might not exist today.
The idea is to sample the sensor multiple times during a long exposure. It would assume that the subject is static as it would be for most long exposures and that the sensor is capable of global shutter or at least is fined tuned to avoid artifacts due to rolling shutter. File size would be quite high but probably less than bracketing technique after compression. Ideally, being a long exposure should mean it would be fitting to use with ISO 100 so "noiseless". 
This approach is somewhat different to bracketing so here is my question. Does it makes sense or is it physically impossible to combine those samples into valid image data? I mean, just for simplicity, lets say a take a 1 second exposure and sample it 10 times and in this context my sensor has a range that will be pitch black in the 1/10 (ideally would be black at 0/10, obviously, and at 1/10 the most bright data will begin to emerge) and blown white at 1 second.

Using bracketing I could take 10 pictures at 1/10 speed and combine them, technically that would be the same as the data of each of the 10 samples, but not really, as the sensor would be working always at the limit of his lowest range and most part of the picture is still under that range, opposite for the top limit.

Instead, sampling during the 1 second exposure should mean that the image taken has gotten over the full range of the sensor and therefore it's the best capture that sensor can make (main parameters to adjust would be exposure and sample rate).
I know technology might not work like this, most probably each pixel has to be "emptied" to be able to read it precisely and much more I can't even fathom, but It's a thought that always creep back to me, maybe somebody knows more about it. Let me know.

SrGeneroso's gear list:SrGeneroso's gear list
Canon EOS 700D
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow