Is it possible to make an image more exposed in darker areas and less exposed in brighter areas?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wantfastcars Forum Member • Posts: 96
Is it possible to make an image more exposed in darker areas and less exposed in brighter areas?

"Normalizing" or "averaging" the exposure across the image, if you will. Google hasn't been helpful, probably because I haven't been using the right terminology.

Like, taking an image of a bright object/light source against a dark background without overexposing the object or underexposing the background? For a specific example, taking a picture of an illuminated sign against a night sky. I want to get some definition in the sky/stars without blowing the sign way out. Is there a way to do this OOC with bracketing/exposure settings, or would I have to result to editing and/or compositing? My camera (Fujifilm X-S10) has options for multi-exposure settings, but if I try that it either keeps making the bright parts brighter or the dark parts darker.

I have some ND filters if that would possibly help, but as far as I can tell that's just making the dark parts darker as well.

wantfastcars's gear list:wantfastcars's gear list
Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kli
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow