@mazon anyone?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CR1975 Regular Member • Posts: 114
@mazon anyone?

Had to send this one out

I recently decided to make the leap and get the Olympus 100-400mm to try my hand at that focal range and give myself a treat. Cannot live forever and wanted to explore something that would be a bit longer in reach than either the 75-300 or 100-300 for some limited birding and pseudo macro stuff.

As this lens is NOT cheap in Canada(what lens is nowadays). All Canadian sources are from $2099/2199 or I have to wait for it to go on sale.

For me once I make a decision waiting is not an option unless it’s something like the 150-400 which could fund a small surgery. So, I scoured other options like B&H, adorama and did the conversion which brought it down to the 1900 range. Also looked at Amazon due to their pretty good return policy but was a bit nervous to buy something so expensive like this from them. Found it there for $1826 but on 12 monthly interest free instalments! Not bad and does not hurt as much up front. 5 days later this shows up for pickup at the local post office (did not want canadapost to do the last mile in case something happened)

No padding bubble wrap or anything. Maybe should not be surprised but my last order from B&H came really nicely packed in a big box and everything(E-M5 Mark III).

Luckily this lens order came via a Washington state Amazon distro point so hopefully not so bad in terms of distance it had to go via shipping and across the border into BC. The lens is fine with all the extra padding in the lens box itself, but the box came with a few dings on corners etc.

BUT , of course the lens goes on sale within a day of this arriving and their price matching policy(or lack of ) is to order it again and return the first. For the 100$+ savings I spun the wheel again and thought that maybe the first order was a one off. So, 5 days later (via Minnesota this time) and again at a pickup from the local Canada post I get this:

And this

Got to love amazons consistency.

to make this even more fun I decided to order the decorative ring from Getolympus website and thought for a $25 piece of plastic, maybe a small cardboard box or even small mailer. And so 2 days after ordering , I get this at my front door

(My E-M5.3 + 100-400 for reference and posterity)

and inside the box…. just wait….

Amazon could learn from OMDS or tech data or whomever they use to fulfill their orders. That bubble wrap could have been pretty nice inside that Amazon branded plastic bag they used!

just thought some of you may enjoy this post

and by the way, the 100-400 is a terrifically sharp lens(both copies). AF pretty good throughout the range in ok light(both copies) and IS does seem to depend on many factors (lighting, contrast, distance, wide vs long; again both copies). The dang thing is pretty hefty but knew that going in to it. Spent a lot of time researching but now have to take some pictures. Never realized how heavy a 2.5 lb lens is but then again it’s my first one of this focal range(er… first pair I guess)

Have to start exploring an em1.3 or em1x now just to maybe get it to balance a bit better with this beast.

Should I try ordering from … say … Amazon? 😺

-- hide signature --

===
Shooting an Olympus in Vancouver, BC!

CR1975's gear list:CR1975's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow