Have camera makers "abandoned" entry level?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,861
Have camera makers "abandoned" entry level?

In the Nikon Z30 announcement article, someone commented that "all manufacturers seem to be abandoning entry level and budget restrained photographers."

Does anyone here believe this?

I remember going camera shopping with a friend around 1984. He ended up with a Nikon FG, Nikon's entry level camera of the day. The FG launched in 1982, at $325. Running that through the US inflation calculator, that's $975 in 2022 money. There are a ton of capable cameras today at that price point.

I honestly believe that the "entry level" is in better shape than it has ever been before.

As for the severely "budget restrained", there's always the used camera market. So many of us started out that way. My Nikon FM2 and FA were both used cameras, as were my 50/1.4, 20/2.8, 35/2.8 PC (shift lens), 55/3.5 macro, 105/2.5, 200/4 macro. And the 50/1.4 radioactive Pentax Super Takumar I bought used for my ancient Vivitar 220.

I was in my late 20s and working as an engineer for a few years before I treated myself to a brand new camera. By that time, I’d put a lot of film through used gear. And again, it's 2022 with KEH and eBay. Back in 1980 the used market was a shelf at couple of local camera stores, classified ads in a local newspaper, one camera show a year, notices on a corkboard at school, and word-of-mouth sales at a local camera club.

So again, I'd say that the "budget restrained" market is also in better shape than it's ever been before.

-- hide signature --

Christine Fleischer 1947-2014.
My soulmate. There are no other words.
-----
Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.
Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.
----
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 Nikon Z7 +48 more
Nikon Z30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow