Where do you buy a desktop tower PC for video editing

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Frank_GH Junior Member • Posts: 48
Where do you buy a desktop tower PC for video editing

Hi,

I'm seeking advice on where to buy a desktop tower PC for video editing. I don't want to build my own, so I first looked at Lenovo because I've had a good experience with my 2019 Lenovo laptop. I had to call them to clarify specs displayed on the website. Briefly, for some model, there was no way to tell which ports were actually present, or if there was an optical disc drive. The salesman didn't seem interested in fixing the issue. I've lost a bit of respect for them.

Other threads here and elsewhere mentioned Dell, HP, ibuypower, CyberpowerPC, and Puget. I looked at a few desktops on ibuypower and CyberpowerPC, but they seem gaming-oriented. I wonder which builder you, video editing people, are dealing with.

Here's how I would describe my needs : Every month or so, I want to edit 4k personal clips, occasionally adding effects like image stabilization, changing the color a moving object, or adjusting white balance. My final videos will be ~30-60 minutes in length. I'll probably buy Cyberlink PowerDirector, but I want a desktop that can handle DaVinci Resolve, just in case. I'm aiming at these specs :

-CPU Intel i7 or AMD Ryzen 7, or equivalent

-RAM 16 Gb

-Good GPU with 4 Gb of VRAM

-1 Tb SSD

-A tower with plenty of space to add more SSDs later if needed

(based on https://www.richardlackey.com/davinci-resolve-system-requirements/)

I also want to ask how expansive are CPUs and GPUs now compared to 7-8 months ago, and compared to before the pandemic. Other threads which date back to last Fall said that prices were still high, but how about now? Should I expect prices to go down in the next 6 months?

Many thanks,

POLL
Dell
4.5% 1  vote
HP
4.5% 1  vote
Lenovo
4.5% 1  vote
Ibuypower
0.0% 0  votes
CyberpowerPC
0.0% 0  votes
Puget
4.5% 1  vote
Other (please specify)
22.7% 5  votes
I build my own PCs
59.1% 13  votes
  Show results
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow