Nikon Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S vs. Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 6,540
Nikon Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S vs. Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S

So now my internal debate begins.

Which of these two lenses are better for what I do?

I bought the Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S and for my Z9 its my current longest lens that I planned to use for BIF and Wildlife. Also got the 1.4X TC to use with it to get it out over 500mm. I've owned this focal length in two other systems so it was familiar to me. Also I'm new to Nikon so I don't own any other F series long telephoto or zooms and I ready didn't want to buy one and adapt it. May have preferred a 200-600 but have no idea when this proposed lens would come to market.

I just also pre-ordered the newest Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S but in reality I can't and won't keep both but these days pre-orders can take a while especially if the queue is long.
B&H surprised me with a pre-order email in the middle of the night and luckily I was up early and put the order in. I see now that first deliveries will be in July but who knows where I am in the queue.

So what to do? We will see but I am interested in what others think or are considering when thinking of these two lenses and each's benefits.

Thank you for your time.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R IV Canon EOS R5 Sony a7C Sony a1 +51 more
Nikon 400mm F4.5 VR S Nikon Z 100-400mm Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow