Is there any software (or other solution) to locate original RAW files for edited JPEGs and copy?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
itfcsam
OP itfcsam Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: Is there any softwareto locate original RAW files

kelpdiver wrote:

Did you rename the files, or is it Mybest111.jpg and Mybest111.CR2? This scenario is the easiest to do a find and copy routine.

Or are you looking for something very intelligent that will decode the raw and find jpegs that are a strong match? That would be more difficult.

You have 812 "good" jpegs. How many RAWs are we talking about?

Is the EXIF info still intact on the jpeg? Even if the names have changes, the datestamp for when the photo was taken can be used to match up files. In a flat dir, you could just sort by this argument, or you could make a temp folder with the 812 jpegs and all raws and have lightroom catalog them, sort by the field. They will either appear together as one, or next to each other with very similar looking thumbnails.

How much raw we're talking about determines is this is plausible route, or if you need to go the manual route. The power tools answers would involve command line or potentially smart GUI search utils that could return all images matching a given date.

I've not renamed the files. They're just the photo name off the camera. So like DSC008331 or something along those lines.

Ideally something which would look at the file name and some of the file data such as time taken and find a RAW with the matching spec.

That lightroom shout is actually a great idea. Not sure why I didn't think of that. Just would need to grab all the RAW files from many different folders.

I would guess maybe 20-30 times more RAWs than Jpegs. Sometimes more if I've done a night of astro for instance but sometimes much less. So maybe 25,000 RAW files but purely a guess.

itfcsam's gear list:itfcsam's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A37 Sony a99 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow