Refilling Epson P5000

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 7,611
Re: A better place to try?

I read somewhere most professional level printers, on the level of 4800-4900 and above are being refilled.

And I read somewhere that survivors were found aboard the R.M.S. Titanic:

But I'd take any such claims with a lot of salt.

From what I understand ... higher-level printers are actually intended to run on non-oem inks.

That seems extremely unlikely. Why would Epson (or Canon or HP) design its higher-end printers to run on some other ink? As long as they run well on OEM ink, clogging badly and/or otherwise failing with third-party ink would almost seem to Epson etc. to be a feature, not a bug.

The losses of ink sales are supposedly factored into the price of higher-end printers. I would bet that most of professional Epson printers around the world run on third-party inks.

The only advantage of OEM inks is longevity.

Anecdotally, it appears to me that OEM inks are involved in a far lower rate of clogging and similar, compared to third-party inks. However, I can't tell you the relative causal importance of the inks themselves, refilling procedures, and/or third-party cartridges sometimes used.

Also, lack of color-matching can be an issue with non-OEM inks.

I used to print photos with the highest-end commercial printers in NYC. These were the same places that most on this forum know and that most wedding photographers use. 5-10 years down the line, most of those prints are badly faded.

Color photos used to be predominately printed with a 'wet' process i.e. RA-4, producing 'C prints'. If displayed in a way that subjects them to much light exposure, they tend to fade fairly quickly. Fuji Crystal Archive paper was (is) a big improvement in this regard, but the basic problem isn't about the lab but the materials themselves.

I doubt that any of these top brand-name ever used OEM inks.

And I bet that the top photo printers in NYC predominately use OEM inks for their top-quality photo prints.

Am I wrong in my statements above?

Can I get $100 down on, 'yes'?

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow