Upgrade E-M5 to OM-1?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SFT007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,908
Upgrade E-M5 to OM-1?

Been using an E-M5 since release (so ~10 years), has served me great. Have historically focused on travel and some street / landscape photography.

Primarily use the Oly 17mm f1.8, PL 25mm f1.4, Pana 7-14mm f4 and the Oly 45mm f1.8. Also have the el cheapo Oly 40-150mm f4-5.6 and the Pana 100-300mm which I bought primarily for a Safari trip to Africa in 2013 and was great for but hardly use otherwise - posted some photos here way back https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52508523

I have a newborn now so thinking about my setup and the many pictures I will take of her over the years and especially once she starts moving a lot more. The E-M5 AF is my main concern (accuracy, tracking and speed in lower light primarily). Would also like slightly better IQ at higher ISO's and max portability. Hence why I want to stick with M43 and not get a Sony A7 IV or something (which I'm assuming isn't a mistake?).

How much of an upgrade is the AF on the OM-1 vs. the E-M5? I would likely go for the 12-40mm f2.8 pro kit lens combo to go with it too. Maybe even pick up one of the 40-150mm pro lenses (leaning f4 for portability so it fits in a small camera bag but not sure how much of an upgrade it is over the el cheapo 40-150mm f4-5.6 IQ wise. Weather sealing obviously nice).

I'm also happy to wait for an OM-5 or whatever the new E-M5 equiv. will be called since I don't need 120fps shooting or all that speed and portability is important. 4K Video a factor now too which obviously the E-M5 can't touch.

Obviously 10 years is a long long time for tech but I'm less focused about "gear" these days. The E-M5 was and is still great for what I used it for with the size, IS, build quality, etc. So spec shootouts don't mean much to me anymore. I just want a higher quality machine that that gets out of the way, handles well and most importantly has top notch AF that can deal with moving kids, etc. Price not really an issue since I'l likely use this for the next 10 years like I did the E-M5.

Would appreciate views / thoughts from anyone who's done a similar jump, especially if coming from an E-M5 or one of the cams with CDAF vs. the new PDAF.

SFT007's gear list:SFT007's gear list
Sony a7 IV Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 DG DN +1 more
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow