FF and Crop lens mixes for wildlife

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Biertje Regular Member • Posts: 117
FF and Crop lens mixes for wildlife

Hi I've everyone. I've always shot crop sensors and whilst some people knock them I find that the reach I can get from my 90D with the 150-600 C works for me. I also have a 70-300 and 300mm f/4.

I always travel with 2 bodies one for redundancy and the other so I can always have 2 different lens options. One on the long end and one slightly shorter. Sometimes I find that my 70-300 is still a bit too long on at the 70mm end on APS-C

I have wanted to move into full frame at some point. Having just purchased the R7, I thought this would be a great opportunity to sell my M6II and 90D and fully embrace the R series and buy an R6 too. My issue then is what lens options do I get?

I'm thinking potentially:

100-400mm on a FF and 150-600mm on the Crop. From my APS-C Perspective this would give me an equivalent of 62.5mm at the short end which helps with my 70mm being a bit too long, whilst maintaining 960mm at the long end. The 400mm does potentially seem a bit short though; 250mm on what I'm used to at APS-C level.

Alternatively get something like the 60-600mm on the FF giving me a nice range at both short and long end. I do then feel like I've got 2 heavy lenses with the 150-600 on the crop.

70-300mm on the FF seems like a lot of money to spend on a camera to get an APS-C equivalent reach up to 187.5mm. But it seems a bit pintless having a 70-300 on a crop body and 150-600 on FF.

I was wondering if someone shoots both FF and Crop and could share what lenses they use for wildlife photography to help me out of this dilemma? I definitely tend to overthink things a lot.

Cheers.

Biertje's gear list:Biertje's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +2 more
Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow