Nikon z6ii a poorly designed, buggy liability for professional use?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
adm87 Forum Member • Posts: 56
Nikon z6ii a poorly designed, buggy liability for professional use?

I own a couple Z6ii's and they both have been problematic with bugs and bad software design to the point where they are a liability. Has anyone else experienced this?? And did you figure out a solution to either of the issues listed below? The Z6ii is the first camera in 13 years of professional shooting that I might have to ditch. Everything seemed to work fine during testing, but once I started using them for real shoots, issues are popping up. I kept a third backup camera around my neck at the last wedding I shot because I now realize my Z6'iis could stop functioning at any moment:

-Every 10-20 hours of shooting, one of my Z6ii's will randomly, without explanation, stop taking photos in the middle of a shoot. Buffer is empty, no error messages, no overheat warning, functional Sandisk cards, latest firmware, shutter release priority on, full battery. They will just randomly stop taking pictures. Both Z6ii's have done this. If I keep pressing the shutter, refocusing, etc, I might get it to take a couple photos here and there, but it just doesn't want to work. Will try taking the battery out and reinserting. Still not working. So I just turn it off and let it sit for a long while or until the next day, and it works again. It's an impossible bug to recreate on demand so I can't diagnose it. Both Z6ii's I own have done this.

-As well, for the first time in 13 years I lost a few dozen of someone's wedding photos using the Nikon Z6ii because the CFe card overheated in the middle of a wedding reception, and all the images in the buffer were lost because Nikon designed this camera so that it won't even write the images in the buffer to the primary SD slot if the CFe card (which I'm using for jpg backup) gets too hot. I even gave the camera about 15 minutes to cool in hopes it would then clear the images in the buffer, but the overheat warning wasn't going away for some reason (another bug), so I had no choice but to pull the battery and move on. Pulling the battery immediately cleared the overheat warning and the camera was fully functional again, but the images in the buffer were lost. I can think of a few software design fixes right off the top of my head that would prevent the loss of images in this situation, but obviously Nikon didn't bother to think it through.

I looked around online and I'm not the only one who is experiencing card overheat issues with the CFe's. And not just Nikon, Canon too. And with some of the most popular CFe card manufacturers. Why are camera manufacturers even using these super fast, but super hot CFe cards in cameras without at least designing the heat sinks plenty large enough to reliably keep these cards cool?

I ordered some Sony XQD cards in hopes they will run cool enough with their slower data transfer speed. We'll see....

Sorry for my frustration but it's hard to imagine how in the 2020's I'm having to deal with buggy, overheating cameras (when shooting stills!).

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow