OM-1: is Subject Detection a scam?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PhotoMac503 Regular Member • Posts: 206
OM-1: is Subject Detection a scam?

Ok, the headline is a little bit of clickbait but I came across something interesting that I don't know if it's user error or something else.

I was taking photos of a heron in water, with very little movement. Subject detection was in Bird mode and I was using single shot. Every image I took locked onto the eye region.

When I view the images in Workspace, the AF box is all over the place. In some images the AF box was on a wing, or the background brush or water.Nothing was showing on the eye region where Subject Detection was showing (when I took the picture)

I would have thought the Workspace AF box would somewhat line up with the Bird Detection, but no way.

Some images look fine, focus-wise, but some do not in spite of Bird Detection being used on all.

That's what makes me think the subject detection doesn't provide much of an advantage, at least in this case.

I was using continuous AF, tracking off.

I later tried the airplane detection on a jet overhead (to match subject detection with the Workspace AF box) and, again, no match. The AF box didn't even show up on the plane in some images. Given the atmospheric distortion I wasn't expecting much in the way of sharpness.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow