Infrared Photo using Nikon D810

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dan Shoe New Member • Posts: 2
Infrared Photo using Nikon D810

I am trying to take an IR photo with a Nikon D810 camera using a fairly standard 28-70 zoom lens. First I tried adding a 720nm filter and setting the WB to 2500K, as low as it would go. I was expecting to get a photo where the subject maple tree would end up with whiteish leaves and the blue sky would end up a darker grey. Instead I got this - see attached. Most disappointing. Then I tried using a feature where you set a custom white balance. Did per some advice and with the 720nm filter in place I tried to set the white balance by using the "PRE" white balance setting on the D810, and using a green lawn as the reference. (D810 stores custom WB's as d-1 thru d-6) I tried using a range of shutter speeds for the reference up to 8 times slower to 8 times faster that what the light meter said was optimum. The camera indicated "no good" every time. Need advice from someone who has successfully used a D810 for IR photos. 2nd attachment shows the kind of image I am hoping to get - foliage will appear whiteish.

attempt at IR using 720nm filter and WB setting of 2150K.

IR image pulled off web showing the kind of image I am trying to get with IR.

Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NFE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow