Cant set and save Custom white balance in memory

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
NoSpHieL New Member • Posts: 7
Re: Cant set and save Custom white balance in memory

I think there is a misunderstanding, you guys are talking about 2 different things...
You are talking about Manual white balance (which you enter manually in Kelvin) and he talks about Custo White Balance (which is captured via Grey Card and must be saved into Custom 1, 2 or 3).
I join you on the fact that Memory modes are meant to save parameters and restore it once out and back to it.
But, as you pointed out yourself, parameters must be *temporarily adjustable* while you are inside the memory mode.
The issue here is that in Sony's cameras, you are not allowed to set (even temporarily) new Custom White Balance via Grey Card when you are in Memory mode... 
The "SET" function is greyed out...
And this is very frustrating because then you are stuck with the 3 Custom White Balance that is registered in your Memory mode, and to change it, you have to go back to video mode (which inherited a lot of settings from the picture mode), instead of being able to change it without leaving the memory mode you've carefully programmed in advance...
I've found 2 workarounds for me, but none is really practical:
1/ Set a custom button to WB Lock, switch to Auto WB, aim at your grey card and press this button... Very little flexibility, no information of which WB you are in, and a great chance to forget to lock it, unlock it or unlock it by accident...
2/ Switch to video or photo mode, set your white balance on your grey card, register it to one of the custom slots, go back to the custom slot to read the value (on my A7III it's not written when you save it...), go back to your memory mode, switch WB to manual and enter the corresponding value...
This option is so tedious, it asks you to go back and forth in between modes and takes a lot of time...
To my knowledge, no other brand is making a problem with this basic function...
I keep on thinking that this is an error in the programming, this is out of any logic and someone had to program it in the firmware, blocking manually access to the auto set function while in memory mode -_-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow