M-P 240 Considering Purchase/Advice Regarding Value, Etc.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lightandaprayer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,129
M-P 240 Considering Purchase/Advice Regarding Value, Etc.

I am looking at what would be my first Leica M, an M-P 240 at the Bellevue, Washington Leica Store:

Pre-Owned M-P (Typ 240) Black Paint w/ Battery, Charger, Red Neck Strap, Handgrip, Bottom Plate, EVF2. $3400

The listing says "no boxes" but the camera box is included. The EVF 2 leather case is missing. The body looks to be in pristine condition except for minimal brassing near the camera lugs. The sensor and rangefinder (aligned per store) are reportedly clean. There is no warranty and no maintenance records.   (I've been looking at stores in part for the warranty some offer.  The 24 month warranty on pre-owned at Leica USA stores seem to apply to a tiny % of what they sell.)

I've tried to do my due diligence regarding value but the included accessories makes it a little difficult for a tyro like myself. . . I wouldn't get a handgrip unless I found a desire for it with some experience and I would opt for the Olympus EVF (if needed ) since it is identical (except for big difference in the cost).

The brass top and bottom plates are a plus vs. the usual aluminum. My favorite film Nikons are black-painted brass. I could be persuaded to go for the latter depending on the price differential, which I haven't figured out. I definitely want a black body since I have never liked chrome cameras.

Realistically, the camera will never be used for video and my first lens purchase will probably be a 35mm Voightlander, the model to be decided. I want to make sure that a Leica M is for me before I invest in more expensive glass.

I am in no hurry to get a Leica 240 but since this one piqued my interest it seems like a good place to further my knowledge a bit.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow