Why I think the OM-1s handling is less than perfect.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 18,997
Why I think the OM-1s handling is less than perfect.

I was asked in another thread why I thought the OM-1s handling didn't deserve an excellent, This is what springs to mind immediately. I may think of others. Feel free to insult me and tell me I just don't know how to use a camera or feel equally free to contribute to the list. It is a very personal view and I wouldn't expect others to disagree with everything or anything.

1, The on-off lever is on the wrong side for a wildlife camera. The left hand's primary purpose is to support the lens and it is important to be able to reach the on-off switch with the other hand. I don't know if left handers prefer it on the left.
2. I've switched the on-off switch to the fn lever which works for me but it means that the on-off lever is a completely useless part of the camera.
3. The Playback button is in the bottom right when it is one thing that could quite happily sit on the left.
4. The jpeg and raw edit menu takes over the screen when ever the OK button is touched (accidentally) while in playback mode. This irritates the hell out of me.
5. The shutter button is difficult to feel blind. It's too flush with the rest of the body.
6. The focus box has a habit of moving. In order to centre it, I have to first highlight it which requires an anyway movement before I can press it and re-centre. Why not just the single push. Why does it move so easily yet requires two actions to return it.
7. The front dial isn't the greatest. I find it very difficult to manoeuvre blind.
8. You can't go to the SCP from wherever you are. Everything needs the menu button to be pressed to return it to the top screen.

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow