Who would buy a Nikon Z (DX) a la D500?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Doug Haag Senior Member • Posts: 2,773
Re: Who would buy a Nikon Z (DX) a la D500?

2nd Wind wrote:

My first wildlife camera was the D300s a year after it's release. Perhaps my favorite wildlife body in many ways over my subsequent D500. Perhaps it was more like: "you always remember your first."

The fast growing Z lens lineup has already matured into a very impressive tele lineup. I still have my D500 but I could at this time easily go for a mirrorless Nikon DX @ 30MP but would settle for a modern 25MP stacked sensor too.

You mention the array of matching lenses and I have belatedly come to appreciate good glass a lot more than I used to.  So that gives me something to think about that I hadn't considered.

But if the question is whether the characteristics of a mirrorless body provide some compelling advantage that, given what I shoot and the way I shoot, is likely to significantly improve my images versus shooting them with a DSLR, the answer is probably no.  For anything I might shoot from a tripod such as macro or landscapes, my D500 in live view already provides a significant number of mirrorless characteristics (such as histogram preview, on-sensor focusing, etc.)

I'll admit that a smaller, lighter camera might become necessary some day.  But fortunately, my D500 is still not too big or heavy for me, even though I am approaching 80 this fall.  I still love this camera and don't feel any urgency to "move on".

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EKB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow