Is the 60/macro 1:1 effectively 2:1?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bas Hamstra Senior Member • Posts: 1,924
Is the 60/macro 1:1 effectively 2:1?

Dear MFT macro users,

Tempted by Laowa 2:1 lenses, I read somewhere that the Oly 60/2.8 is effectively also a 2:1 macrolens (effectively meaning that a subject at physically half the size of the M43 sensor will fill up the entire sensor at max magnification). Is this true? On a M43 camera, magnification-wise, there would be no advantage for a Laowa 2:1 macro lens? That is my main question, I have to decide between the Laowa and Oly macro lenses, and effective 2:1 magnification is a must. To be used on a EM1.2.

I am a bit confused: strictly spoken macro at 1:1 means an object the size of a full frame sensor will exactly cover that FF sensor.  Laowa advertises their 60mm M43 macrolens as a 2:1 lens. So does this mean it's *effectively* 4:1 on MFT? I guess not. So same magnification as the Oly then?

Now that I am asking stuff I also would like to know if the 0,3x magnification of the 12-40 if *effectively* 0,6x?

Thanks for helping me understand this better,

Bas

Bas Hamstra's gear list:Bas Hamstra's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow