Playing with infrared flare

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeff Biscuits Contributing Member • Posts: 538
Playing with infrared flare

So, after a couple of brief flings with infrared cameras (first a Panasonic P&S, which was purely a test to wee if it whet my appetite, then a full spectrum converted X-A5 which I got for a song on eBay, but which reminded me that I hate not having a viewfinder), I bided my time and recently found an X-T20 at a steal of a price (I am unapologetically and pathologically a bargain hunter) which not only gives me the viewfinder, but also happens to be a 720nm conversion, meaning I’m able to use any lens without needing to buy a massive pile of IR filters.

I’ve been giving it a go over the last couple of weeks, mainly with the Samyang 12mm f/2, the Pergear 10mm f/8, and the XC 15-45—with which I have a love-hate relationship in that I love the size and the price and the focal range, but hate the lack of aperture ring and, most of all, waiting for it to extend and retract when I power on/off.

Anyway…

Having freedom of lenses is a good thing. The only one I’ve tried so far which doesn’t work for IR is the XF 27 (which has a very strong hotspot). Others seem to be fine, but one thing that’s noticeable with IR is that lenses flare a lot more than they do with visible light. A lot of time the best (or at least typically contrasty) IR shots are taken facing away from the sun so it’s not a massive deal, but when you turn around it’s something you need to figure out how to work with rather than avoid.

And as it happens the 15-45 seems to have something to bring to the party here, over and above the orbs that pretty much all lenses seem to give when the sun’s near the frame.

(Acros JPEG with a bit of a contrast bump and a touch of the dehaze filter in Lightroom.)

I’m still undecided as to whether to keep this lens, but I think it makes a better case for itself with the IR body than with the unconverted ones…

Anyway—if you’ve got infrareds of your own, share away!

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow