Left Weighted S1?

Started Jun 24, 2022 | Discussions thread
OP MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 48,236
Re: Left Weighted S1?

jalywol wrote:

Camera balance is a big deal for me, since I have wrist and elbow problems. It's also why the S5 is so good, in spite of being outside my weight comfort zone, and why other FF cameras have not been. ( I used a Nikon D750 for a couple of weeks some years ago, and it flared up my wrist pain horribly...took months for it to calm down, actually, after that. Initially it felt quite comfortable to hold, but after a couple of outings...man, ouch!). (The S5 even with the 70-300mm Lumix lens, is really well balanced, by the way. I had some initial discomfort with it for the first couple of times I used it, but then all of a sudden, I must have just adjusted to it, because it's been totally fine since then. Exactly the opposite of what happened with the D750, very odd.)

I have not tried the S1 or S1R because I knew they were out of my joint capabilities, but I suspect you have run into a conflict with your own and the cameras.

Maybe try an S5 for comparison?

-J

Janet I initially put it down to the large heavy lenses I was using on the S1.  This would have magnified whatever left droop I was feeling when using the S1.  But when I tried this smaller lens it was still there.  I could try the camera body with an even smaller lens but i am not worried enough to take it to that extreme.  More wondering if anyone else had noticed it.

When I have used it with the Sigma 105/1.4 - quite a lump, but deliciously fast - I have fitted it (the lens) with a carry handle on the upper side to that I can carry the S1 contraption handing it by the handle.  This puts the combined weight hanging underneath.  Just carting the combo about by the grip when not in use emphasises the left twist on the grip to 'quite painful'.

As you will know I am also a GM5 advocate and why I might try to use the somewhat large S1 with the smallest lenses as possible? ... As it is my S1 is a camera that I take and use where I am not at all worried about the camera bulk - big camera bodies suit big lenses better.  Or so the converse commonly accepted theory of fitting up the GM5 with the tiniest lenses mountable would run ...

Thanks for the offer of a S5 - I live 350kms from probably the nearest retail store that might offer an S5 that I could look at let alone test a few clicks. Not about to try and rent one - simply not that interested - and there is no commercial camera rental system in Australia that I know of although such facilities must exist for 'real' professionals to enable them to access exotic gear.

Furthermore I am perfectly happy with my neat well balanced G9 and the rest of my M4/3 bodies.

The S1 has its place and even though I notice the left rotation on my wrist I am not about to give up such a remarkable camera just because of a slight discomfort in use.

I am holding out for the SX1/SXR1 which should be the compact RF style version of the S1/S1R when it arrives.  Just hoping I don't have to pass it up because it has a side hinged lcd.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow