Why do RAW images appear SIGNIFICANTLY darker in Bridge/LR than in cam's viewfinder/preview?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Truefolder New Member • Posts: 11
Why do RAW images appear SIGNIFICANTLY darker in Bridge/LR than in cam's viewfinder/preview?

(^ the exact same file.)

Hey guys! I'm new here, and trying some night photography for the first time. So I look through my A7S3's viewfinder, expose for that, then take the shot. It looks good in the viewfinder, it looks good in the preview screen, that's why I take the shot. Then I look at these images on my PC, and they're 200% darker, I can barely even see anything... Why?

Additionally, I usually review all my images through Adobe Bridge before going into LR, and they're all super dark in both Bridge and LR. But when I open these same RAW images with Windows 10 Photos, they're much brighter and--more importantly--look the same as in my camera's viewfinder, i.e. that's what I was trying to take the picture of.

Clearly it's a problem since I'm not shooting what I think I'm shooting. So what am I not understanding here? What's going on, and how do I adjust this process so I can understand exactly what I'm getting? Thank you in advance for any advice.

And here's another screenshot of the exact same RAW file viewed in Bridge (left) and Photos (right) with double monitor setup:

https://i.imgur.com/KEEfLW3.jpg

(the right image looks exactly like it does in my A7S III camera, i.e. what I was trying to capture)

Truefolder's gear list:Truefolder's gear list
Sony a7S III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow