Rant - Why don’t all Z S quality lenses have a hood with lock and metal filter threads?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Z6User
Z6User Contributing Member • Posts: 991
Re: Rant - Why don’t all Z S quality lenses have a hood with lock and metal filter threads?

Steve W wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

Steve W wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Steve W wrote:

Z6User wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Steve W wrote:

The brand new Z MC 105mm f/2.8 does have a hood lock but from reviews I’m told it has cheap plastic filter threads. Which other lenses are like this I am not sure. These get easily damaged by quality filters with brass rings.

I am unclear as to why you think a bayonet hood which bayonets on well clear of a metal filter ring can be a problem.

He doesn’t. He wants all S lenses to have a lock as per the 105mm F2.8 MC lens. And he doesn’t like plastic filter threads on a lens.

The non locking hoods I have without locks do latch into place anyway, so there is not much difference, the locking one requires a bit less force to twist off. I don’t see how the ones on my 24-70mm F4 S and F mount lenses could fall off accidentally, unless the bayonet was somehow damaged.

I don’t see the problem. Maybe a very large hood that latches in place would be a bit hard to twist off compared to a locking hood. Perhaps the OP can enlighten us.

The only Nikon hoodd I have damaged in 23 years using Nikon is the one for the current 80–400 mm.

I consider the hood for my 105 S much more substantial than the ones for the F1 .8 primes.

Digressing Grays of Westminster in the UK had reasonable stocks of the 105 S a few days ago.

For me the hood locks just make handling the removal of hoods in consistent. Believe it or not I some times forget for a specific lens how it needs to be removed and I end up fighting with it at the worst time. I have owned many hoods without locks over the years and have lenses, like from Zeiss, that work great without them. Just need to be designed right. I find that the care of the designs these days is not the same so if a hood lock helps make it more consistent then put it in. If its not needed then fine but make sure I'm not having to fight the attachment and removal on any specific hood.

Why are you removing the hoods that often...? I basically never remove mine, they click on the lens and latch, so they are always locked. A "push button" type of lock would not improve anything, and I am glad that none of my lenses have that. In fact, I think that the risks of the hood falling off the lens is greater with that sort of locking mechanism then with the latching used on most Nikon lenses. I like the latching plastic hoods, they are light and durable, work perfectly as lens protection also, which is another reason for not removing them.

You know what they say... if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

May be silly to you but I use a backpack for my kit and take it everywhere and they are few and far between that are thick (or deep) enough, front to back on them. To hold ~ 6 lenses they have to support standing them on end and not lying down. At 5" to 5.5" deep that means every lens hood has to be removed and reversed to store the lens in the bag. Every day and every shoot or change of location. Even for a 70-200/2.8 or 100-400 that get to lye down their hoods have to be revered to fit in the space allocated for them.

I don't take only one or two lenses on a camera like the Z9. Maybe on a short walk around with a small body but the Z9 is not a Z6.

I think most people who use lens hoods use them the way you do and not Oly. I break mine down for storage and transport every time I use them. Who keeps a lens hood on in a backpack?

I also break mine down if I have to for transport, but that's a different thing. My point was that in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the twist, click and latch function of the lens hoods. Not a single one ever fell off any of my lenses. I'd hate to have to use a screw on type (common on very old lenses) or the push button type, which is used on some old lenses. The plastic used by Nikon is of good enough quality so it won't wear, and the only reason why they may fell off is if people don't click and latch them right. I love the quick and easy removal or attachment possibilities and definitely don't want the push button type. It works well as it is.

One reason why I don't remove them is that it is much easier to handle the lenses. You can just set the lens down on any surface, even on a dirt road, when changing lenses, because the front element is well protected. The other is that I don't use ANY filter, so the first thing that would be scratched or touched is the front element. The hood gives some safety distance to the lens. The third is that I hike a lot and the camera may hit a tree or a rock occasionally, and even in this case, the hood provides protection. Being able to transport the lenses I need without having to remove or invert the hoods is for me a must, if the bag doesn't fit my purpose I buy one which works for me.

Oly,

Can you identify a bag that can hold the rolling lenses along with a Z9 body with L-bracket
- Z 14-24/2.8 S
- Z 24-70/2.8 S or Z 24-120/4 S
- Z 70-200/2.8 VR S or Z 100-400/4.5-5.6 VR S
- Z 50/1.8 S
- Z 85/1.8 S
-Z MC 105/2.8 VR S

if you don’t want to remove the hoods and turn them make that clear in you bag selection.

That seems to be what your proposing.

I’m sure you are right that it is inconsistent, and yes like you I always reverse my lens hood after taking snaps, and shove the lens and camera into my backpack. I don’t have an issue remembering how the hood is removed, but I have few lenses. What really annoyed me was the fact that image size (FX, DX etc) is not stored with the user defined settings on the top left dial. But I have got used to that.

Some of these lens hoods are very expensive when bought separately, the prices shocked me. Perhaps a third party will make locking replacements?

My old 200mm F4D AF micro lens uses a screw on filter hood. Aaaaaarrrrggghhhhh. Count your blessings.

-- hide signature --
 Z6User's gear list:Z6User's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow