Blown highlights

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
djrocks66
djrocks66 Senior Member • Posts: 1,671
Blown highlights

Hello all, I am shooting with the OM-1 and I have noticed if I do not underexpose a lot while shooting towards the sun the highlights will be completely blown out. Most of my Landscape and Waterscape photography is around sunset time and I like to shoot towards the sun. Is this a limitation of the sensor? I always underexpose when I shoot this way with other systems but not as much as I have to with the OM-1. I was hoping I didn’t have to bracket my shots all the time. The shadow recovery is actually pretty good but because I have to underexpose so much I am getting more noise in the shadows than I would like. I have also noticed red lens flare from the 7-14 pro lens when shooting towards the sun. Is that a characteristic of the lens coatings? I have shot M 4/3rds before but never as my only system. I also feel that the evf while hi res, is pretty dark and not easy to use to compose shots at sunset. Besides these issues I am enjoying this camera. It is a great system for wildlife and much better for me at BIF than the Nikon Z system I was using. Any help with settings for exposure problems would be welcomed and appreciated. 😊

Here are some of the shots I have taken with the OM-1

djrocks66's gear list:djrocks66's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Olympus E-M5 III OM-1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow