** Mini-Challenge #673 - Before and After **

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 8,870
** Mini-Challenge #673 - Before and After **

I often capture an image with post-processing in mind - knowing that I am only getting the base for what will later become a finished image. My goal is to give the viewer a feel for what it was like to be there experiencing the event/scene being photographed, even though the base image doesn't quite get there.

This week’s challenge is about "Before and After." For each exhibit or entry, I want to see the base unmodified OOC image (of course you can reduce the resolution of huge files for ease of posting if you wish, but no other changes) and then the final, finished image.

For example, the image that won the last challenge was shot with post-processing in mind. We were high up on a very remote butte. Everything was blanketed by heavy smoke from the western wildfires. The light was all wrong, but I wasn't shooting directly into the sun. I had only an instant to capture the moment of Dave giving Jack a drink - no time at all to wrestle with the dense menu system on the RX100 VII to get proper exposure, etc. I knew I'd need to work on the base image to get a finished one that accurately reflected how it felt to be there that day.

When you looked directly toward the setting sun, the colors in the sky from the heavy smoke in the air were spectacular.  So, I put the sun and the colorful, smoky western sky directly behind the base dog and man image to give a viewer a real feel for being there that day. There were also lots of small adjustments - bringing up the orange color of the shirt; creating strong backlighting on Jack's fur; bringing up detail in the grass; cropping; etc, etc.

This challenge will end on Thursday June 30, 2021 at 5:00 pm EST

The basic rules:

Maximum 3 Entries and/or as many exhibits as you want.

Photos must have been taken by you and may have been taken on any device. To be considered, both the OOC image final image must be posted consecutively. No more than 10 total images may be included on any one post, as per basic DPReview rules.

Any explanation you are willing to provide about how and why you did the post-processing to get from Before to After would be interesting to us all.

Please state in header whether image is an entry or exhibit. Non-labelled examples will be assumed to be exhibits. Please, consider submitting your images as "Entries".

Post all images using the "Reply to Thread" button below this post.

Awards: Honorable Mentions will be selected only from Exhibits.  First, Second and Third places will be selected only from entries.  The coveted Dishonorable Mentions could be selected from either category.

Grand Prize: The first place winner has the "privilege" of creating and hosting the next Challenge and has 3 days to begin it. The winner can respond to the host with a forum post or PM. If the winner does not respond in 3 days, or declines to host, the second place winner becomes the next host. If the second place winner declines to host, the third place winner becomes the next host.

I look forward to seeing your work!

Greg

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow