P7500 on its way...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Rand 47
Rand 47 Senior Member • Posts: 1,546
Re: P7500 on its way...

Keith,

Do some searches on the Luminous Landscape, Photo PXL, and the Epson Wide Format list group on these printers. They make superb prints when “working” but are rife with serious issues. With a short review period you may not run into some of the problems, but keep an eye out for:

• Head strikes with fine art papers, even Epson’s Legacy Platine (no matter the platen gap or caliper of paper setting).
  • The print head dragging itself through the ink on subjects with heavy / dark ink loads.
  • The printer “unspooling” roll paper to the point where you cannot open the cover.
  • The printer ripping the paper off the core at the end and dragging tape through the feed mechanism and gumming up the rollers (taking hours to remove carefully).
  • The printer actually breaking the plastic spool end holders.

Many users have had multiple visits from Epson Support with ZERO resolution to any of the above. Many of the techs have reported that they think is is a physical design issue and not fixable through firmware / software.

I have the 7570 and have experienced all of these, except for the printer actually breaking its own parts in the roll feed mechanism.. Many of the issues have been ameliorated through driver / firmware / EMI updates, but are not 100% resolved. Those who have the 9570 continue with real horror stories. It seems the wider carriage exacerbates the issues - especially head strikes and the head making mouse tracks through the ink on low key prints.   I now know some workarounds that make the printer “mostly dependable.” One of the required workarounds is to keep a spreadsheet on exact roll paper use, and waste the first foot or so of each roll and to “stop printing” with at least 3 feet of paper left on the roll so that it does not get ripped off the core and dragged through the feed mechanism.. A huge waste of materials from a production point of view. I’ve owned mine since they were first released, and worked extensively with Epson Pro Support over the phone (during COVID lock down when they didn’t have access to their own test facility). Some of the videos and photographs I made for them in testing / demonstrating issues went all the way to engineers in Japan.

I suspect if you print on something like Premium Luster in rolls, you may never encounter any of these. But let me suggest some research as suggested above so that your review has a “wide view” of actual user experience and some things to test for.

On the positive side, the printer makes gorgeous prints. It has the best sheet feed mechanism I’ve ever used. It’s fast in bi-directional mode.

Best of luck with your tests!

Rand

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow