10-100 VR repair / replacement options

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,574
10-100 VR repair / replacement options

A couple of years ago my 10-100 VR stopped working and now I can’t remember the reason why I decided not to try fixing it at that time. But a few days ago it caught my eye and I decided to figure out what to do with it. I came up with a few questions and since I wasn’t following Nikon 1 discussions for a long time, I hope someone here can help me with the answers. Here are my questions:

• Is sending this lens to Nikon for repair no longer an option?
  • I hear about a service in Taiwan (I think), did anybody from Canada or US use it? Is it cost effective? I don’t want to repair the lens myself using parts. I would prefer sending it for repair but not sure if it is worth it comparing to buying a replacement.
  • As for the replacement option - would a 30-110 be a better alternative? I have plenty of primes for short range and prefer using them at this range anyway. Would 30-110 be more reliable for shutter issues?

I do want to mention that I also own a 10-100 PD, but it is a beast that I would probably never consider as a walk around lens. I got it as a gift for practically nothing but never really used it. The 10-100 VR, on the other hand, saw a lot of use, especially as a landscape lens on vacation (often on a tripod). I think this is why it broke, probably cable snapped inside from frequent use. So I do want to have an alternative, just need to decide between repair and replacement options.

Appreciate your help.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow