Rant - Why don’t all Z S quality lenses have a hood with lock and metal filter threads?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 6,461
Rant - Why don’t all Z S quality lenses have a hood with lock and metal filter threads?

So I am new to Nikon Nikkor and their Nikkor Z “S” quality lenses but want to rant a little. The quality across this family is not consistent. I will use my most recent two purchases as and example but I know others like thIs.

The excellent Z 24-120mm f/4 S has a hood without a lock button. My Z 50mm f/1.8 and Z 85mm f/1.8 S both suffer the same problem.

The brand new Z MC 105mm f/2.8 does have a hood lock but from reviews I’m told it has cheap plastic filter threads. Which other lenses are like this I am not sure. These get easily damaged by quality filters with brass rings.

Also all do not have the same LCD display or L-fn button. I can understand this a little better if adding this impacts the size of the lens. The Z 24-120 f/4 S is an example of a lens that don’t have these but the Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S does.

Coming from other systems this does surprise me about the hood lock and plastic filter thread. Does this devalue the “S” designation? Apparently you need a good reviewer to call these out since these and other build attributes are not on the data sheet or in the published specifications. Really a quality weakness in my opinion. I’ve now bought eight lenses since adopting the system so maybe all my needs will be covered but I could see me adding a few others and I’m just surprised.

Also, why no real lens cases like Sony includes on all GM lenses. Not as good but I have ended up purchasing some of the CL cases from older Nikon lenses like the CL-1120 for the the Z 105/2.8 VR S to protect it. These work ok in most cases. Maybe even a CL-M2 for the Z 100-400/4.5-5,6

I did notice on the preview of the new Z 400 f/4.5 VR S Nikon has finally created what looks to be a higher quality lens hood with a rubberized edge covering copying Canon and Sony. hoods. That would have been nice on the Z 100-400 and Z 70-200. Oh well.

Rant complete.

Optical quality is excellent but have to admit I kind have learned to expect that from the new Canon RF L, Sony GM, and now Nikkor Z S.

Thank you

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R IV Canon EOS R5 Sony a7C Sony a1 +49 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FKS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow