Realistically, how much better low-light performance can one expect from a much faster lens?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wantfastcars Forum Member • Posts: 76
Realistically, how much better low-light performance can one expect from a much faster lens?

For my purposes I'm very happy with the 16-80 and the 70-300. They cover a huge range of focal lengths and are reasonably fast for daylight shooting, in only two relatively small and light lenses, which suits the overwhelming majority of my shooting just fine. However, there is one weakness - low-light/night photography. I have to either use very long exposure times (which, now that I have a tripod, shouldn't be a problem for stationary subjects like buildings) or very high ISO, and even then sometimes that's not enough.

Realistically, will a much faster lens (like f/2 or f/1.4) offer a hugely noticeable increase in low-light shooting, or are my expectations too high? I'm not expecting daylight-bright but if anyone could share or point me to pairs/groups of photos that compare apertures with all other settings the same, I'd love to see them.

wantfastcars's gear list:wantfastcars's gear list
Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
JNR
YWG
JNR
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow