Are all hotshoe flashes very fragile at the attachment spot? I have 3 broken flashes now.

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rob
Rob Regular Member • Posts: 484
Are all hotshoe flashes very fragile at the attachment spot? I have 3 broken flashes now.

In the last 3 years, I've shot a lot of real estate photography, and I've now got 3 broken hotshoe flashes (Godox TT685S, and TT685IIS), and all at the hotshoe attachment spot. That area is made of very weak plastic and it's easy to snap the whole thing off at the base, with even just a moderate bump.

Today, how it broke was almost comical. During the middle of a shoot, the tripod head with the camera and flash attached suddenly dipped down (kinda like someone nodding off when sleepy), because the tripod head wasn't tightened all the way. Just the force of the tripod head dipping caused the flash to snap clean off of the camera. Now, if the camera had actually dropped to the floor or if I actually bumped into the flash unit hard, then I could understand that amount of force might break it off. But just from the tripod head nodding like that? And I've only had this flash for about 3 months, purchased new from Amazon.

So, after having 3 Godox flashes break at the exact same spot in the last 3 years, I think I'm done with Godox. However, I wonder if other companies' flashes are actually any better, because from some of the comments I've seen online, today's flashes seem to have gotten far worse in terms of sturdiness. My old Canon Speedlite that I bought in 2004 still works like a champ, and luckily I had it with me as backup (too bad it can't work with my Sony a7RII for TTL and has to be used in manual mode).

Any recommendations for a reliable workhorse flash that won't break from me looking at it wrong, and works with Sony Alpha series' TTL?

-- hide signature --
 Rob's gear list:Rob's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Rob
Rob
Rob
Rob
kli
Rob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow