would you buy rf apsc if they port over the 'm experience'?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
chiti106 Forum Member • Posts: 69
would you buy rf apsc if they port over the 'm experience'?

I'll start by saying I'm a proud m user and appreciate their small size and IQ amongst all the other well documented pros and cons. In another thread, I commented that apsc as a format have a dichotomy of use cases.

First use case is ala the 'm experience' - small and light and mainly catering to wide to normal focal lengths. Slow compact zooms unless you use the faster primes. Native zoom doesn't extend beyond 200mm to keep within its 'small and light' framework.

The second use case is for birders and macro users wanting pixel density for their big heavy long focal length lenses. These people would previously have bought a bigger/sturdier 90D or 7D body but not a 'm'.

Canon has not filled this use case for RF with the R7 and R10. Both have EVF and bigger grips than m cameras. R7 have added IBIS.

Personally, I find the the IBIS in R7 the most interesting aspect. You can now bring over the Sigma EF 1.8 zooms with IS support - double new lease of life with IS and fast/reliable mirrorless AF.

I would also say that Canon so far have been 'following the money'. They have mainly been catering to the big spenders and their profit margin, and have answered the call for pixel density amongst birding big spenders. That's reality - that's how business survive and thrive, nothing personal. For m users, the profit margin is much much smaller and you see the repercussion with very few releases over the years.

However, if Canon ported over the 'm experience' with like for like release of m lenses and smaller bodies to RF - would you buy it again? Would you buy into the RF apsc with added 'm' experience if you haven't already bought into 'm'?

Canon would argue you would possibly get a better low light, shallow depth of field experience with full frame RP and small 35/50/85 primes with not too much added money and gateway to their whole RF full frame ecosystem - ie. this is probably THE reason why they won't port of the 'm' experience.

What do you think?

chiti106's gear list:chiti106's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R10 Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
KEG
MAC
KEG
KEG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow