RF 100mm Macro and R5, adult antlion shots. Very unique insect!

Started 5 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JayLT4 Regular Member • Posts: 272
RF 100mm Macro and R5, adult antlion shots. Very unique insect!

Finally got some shots this summer of a Paranthaclisis Congener species of antlion.  This is the same thing that makes those little cones in the ground and wait for small insects to fall into them, but that's the larva stage whereas this is the final adult stage.

The most unique feature of this insect, to me, are clearly the eyes.  I've never seen another insect in person with the amount of color and detail in the eyes as these have.

As adults these get about 2 inches long and are commonly confused with damselflies.  They are also nocturnal which is the main reason I rarely get to see them.  In any given year I usually only spot two or three of these.  We have other species of antlion in my area, but not with eyes like this.

Godox MF-12 flash for lighting

These are all stacked images.  Shot hand-held and created the stacks manually by locking focus and slowly moving forward while continually shooting.  Images merged in Photoshop and edited in Lightroom.

1/200th, f/16 ISO 200

1/200th, f/16, ISO 200

1/160th, f/16, ISO 200

1/160th, f/16, ISO 200

1/200th, f/16, ISO 200

-- hide signature --
 JayLT4's gear list:JayLT4's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow