Advise to chose lens for portrait and macro

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
EKB Regular Member • Posts: 395
Re: Advise to chose lens for portrait and macro

Peace_VN wrote:

Hi.

I got an old D500. Love it. I'm very new to nikon lens so please help

I managed to get the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 DX as kit lens from previous owner. It is very sweet lens but I believe i need something for taking portrait for my beloved wife.

I normally taking photos of nature so i got the 150-600 mm tamron g2 - it is hard to take portrait with this lens

I sometimes take macros photos of bugs.. Is it worth to get a 100mm macro lens that can be used as portrait lens? Like the old Nikon 105mm f/2.8 FX AF MICRO-NIKKOR (1990-2007 ) or the newer Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR G

Or i better two lens for two jobs?

It depends on what you mean by "portrait." For full-body and small-group portraits, I'd use a 50mm or even a 35mm prime on DX. If you find the 17-55mm to be too wide for the portraits you want to take, then yes, you will want a lens that falls between the 55mm and 150mm focal lengths.

I find 85mm to be an awkward focal length on DX (and expect that I'd also find it awkward on FX) but it might be just the thing for you. 85mm on DX is the same angle of view as 128mm on FX, and 135mm FX portrait primes are a thing.

I do like my 70mm Sigma macro. It's an older, discontinued lens so I had to hunt up a used copy. But it's also what I'd recommend if you want a single lens for both portraits and macro on your D500.

EKB's gear list:EKB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D90 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow