M 240 and M-E

Started Jun 8, 2022 | Questions thread
bs1946
bs1946 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,981
Re: M-E is a lower priced M9

Thorsman wrote:

No, the M-E is an M9, but without the frameline selection lever.

the M-Ehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_M-E

Thorsman is correct. While the M-E is often referred to as a Typed 240 model, it is indeed a final and cheapened version of the M9. There were four versions of the M9, the standard M9, which I owned, the M9P, which was upgraded with Sapphire glass and new vulcanite, the M9 Monochrome, and lastly The M-E, which had non-brass, gray painted top and bottom plates, no frame-line leaver, and possibly other downgrades.

I personally have been looking at getting an M-P, Type 240, a basic type 240, or what I truly would love to find an M-D, Type 262, which is even more allusive than your M-E. They M-D is truly unique and only a small number were produced. While the body was about the same as the 240 models, the was no LCD, replaced with an old-school film-like ISO dial, no video, no jpegs, and only a couple of menu items, like date and time, set through the viewfinder. The only output was DNGs, the closest digital M equivalent of shooting with a film base M.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
www.flickr.com/photos/wrs1946
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
- Henri Cartier-Bresson -

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Leica M (Typ 262) Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow