Thoughts on upgrading camera system

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
roelkphoto
roelkphoto New Member • Posts: 8
Thoughts on upgrading camera system

I'm a full-time working real estate/architectural photographer that also occasionally shoots other work, like portraits and landscapes, and I'm interested in upgrading my camera setup, so I'm looking for advice/thoughts. Mostly, I'm after improved image quality. Autofocus capability,  and burst mode are not my priorities.

I've been a solid Canon user for years, and currently own a Canon 5d Mkii (that's right), with 17-40mm L and 70-200mm f4 L lenses (I have a couple other Canon lenses but don't use those professionally). This camera has been great, has not given me problems thus far, and has some decent life left in it; I think the shutter count is less than 100K. I also own a Hasselblad 500cm with a 80mm T*Planar lens. I'd always wanted one, and bought it about 15 years ago, but then digital took hold and I never really used it, as much as I still love that camera.

So, having glanced at current values of the Hasselblad, I'm planning to sell it and use the money to begin the upgrade process. My first thought was I'd upgrade to the 5d Mk IV, but then I thought I wanted something newer, even though that camera still seems fairly relevant and widely used, at least until mirrorless came along. And I could use the glass I already have.

I entertained getting the 5dSR, being mostly a shooter of structures and not moving athletes, but looking at reviews lately, I see it's not the all-encompassing camera I thought it was. I do also need to be able to shoot video, and it's not good for that. I also thought maybe I should get into the mirrorless game with the Canon R5 or R6, but I would have to reinvest in new glass to use with that system, and I want to stay full frame. Although I understand there are adapters for the R series for use with EF L lenses, I'm not sure if there is any image quality loss. I've never used adapters before.

Lately, though, I've been utterly fascinated by the medium format Fujifilm GFX cameras, namely the 50s ii and the 100s. I'm really loving the idea of moving up in image quality using an MF system. Of course, getting the Fujifilm would mean acquiring new lenses for a new system, which will incur more cost.

My ideal setup would be: one of the MF Fujifilms with a super-wide zoom and mid length zoom for shooting high-end homes and interiors, and then a smaller FF camera I could use for everyday real estate shooting, which at the moment, and for the foreseeable future, is the bread and butter of my business. The bummer is that the GFX's have their own set of lenses, so it's not like I could get a smaller Fujifilm and be able to use the same lenses across both cameras.

Any suggestions?

roelkphoto's gear list:roelkphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow