Tested: Pringle vs ExpoDisc - images

Started Nov 11, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Doug Walker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,119
Tested: Pringle vs ExpoDisc - images

Because of a recent thread where many were extolling the virtues of using a Pingles lid for White Balance adjustment, I thought I'd post two images, one using a Pringles lid and the other using an ExpoDisc. I used two 550EX flashes (one on the left, one on the right) without any light modifiers and pointed directly at the subject about 3 ft. away. White balance shots were done by pointing the camera directly at the flash head with the Pringles and then the Expodisc in front of the lens. The background is the white side of a Westcott double sided collapsible background.
The first shot is with the Expodisc while the 2nd is using the Pringles lid.

In case you can't tell, the Pringles white balance isn't even close. The Expodisc can also be used to set exposure which the Pringles lid can't do. For those interested, the ExpoDisc has a light transmission of 18% + - 1/6 stop. My particular disc included a calibratation card that read .00 Red, .01 Green, .02 Blue using a BMI color densitometer.

-- hide signature --

Doug Walker
Check my profile for equipment list.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
drz
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
drz
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow