Sony A7S III 240 fps and Sony RX10 IV 480/960 FPS Topaz VEAI Upscale Test

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Chinoy12 Regular Member • Posts: 135
Re: Sony A7S III 240 fps and Sony RX10 IV 480/960 FPS Topaz VEAI Upscale Test

sargentpilcher wrote:

Why isn't it that the camera that has double the cost can't record at 960 FPS in the first place?

I bought the A7Siii, but do I really need to buy a cheaper camera if I want 960fps?

(Beautiful footage you got BTW)

Thanks sargentpilcher! I think the reason why the RX10 IV can do 960 fps and not the Sony A7S III is down to sensor size (easier to do these higher frame rates in terms of reduced heat dissipation and CPU power with a smaller one inch sensor compared to a full frame sensor in the A7S III) and also due to the fact that the RX10 IV is using a stacked sensor for higher speed read out.

However, it has been 7 years since this tech came out in the RX100/RX10 series and there's been no increase in quality with the successor RX100/RX10 series in the HFR mode. I really hope the technology eventually gets into their full frame cameras. Maybe they are still trying to find a way to do it without generating too much heat in a full frame sensor.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow