First shots with a "real" camera — what adjustments would you make?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
well lighted ryan
well lighted ryan Junior Member • Posts: 27
First shots with a "real" camera — what adjustments would you make?

Hello! I wrote a few weeks back about whether to buy a fixed lens compact or a power zoom. I settled on a used Fujifilm X70. Today was my first day shooting.

For my first day, I just wanted to get used to the camera. I set aperture, shutter and ISO on Auto (but didn't flip the Fuji Auto switch so that I could maintain the full array of Film Sims). Then I went to a local museum and shot. I used single AF, but also made sure to use the touch-to-focus/shoot feature on the touchscreen.

Some of my shots were okay, but I wasn't thrilled. I think the lesson here is that it's really easy to take for granted just how much the iPhone is managing for you — and also how much there is to manage in the first place.

I've attached one of the first images below. My very general question is, what adjustments would you make to the elements of the exposure triangle to make this photo better? This was taken at 6:00 pm, so the sun getting low. You can see the garden is very dark (too dark). The building in the background is in full sun, but it's washed out.

I really don't know where to begin with manually adjusting. Would you adjust the ISO here? The aperture? If you were in my newbie shoes, what adjustments would you make to get a feel for how these things work (and interact)?

Thanks a lot!

well lighted ryan's gear list:well lighted ryan's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Apple iPhone 12
ANSWER:
Fujifilm X70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow