The rumor mill is dead; the R supersedes the M6II

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 3,924
The rumor mill is dead; the R supersedes the M6II

With the advent of both Nokishita and Craig biting the dust this year it’s no surprise that the R7/10 was leaked only days before launch even though there’s been vague talk for years. The rumor mill is dead, RIP.

As a result though, we truly don’t know what’s the future for the M. Regional sales reps for China although somewhat authoritative, is not gospel. Reviewers with opinions, cameralabs as much as I love em, less so.

I do think that R10 sensor may make it into a future M50 though. But DIGIC X may not. Power/thermal issues in smaller packages is my concern.

All to say it’s a shame there was no swan song to go with the R7/10 launch as there was the 90D and M6II. Perhaps it is true, the M6II may be discontinued. Canon indicated the R7/10 are targeting the same audience, so it makes sense. All to say there probably will never be an M7, M5 II, that’s the Rs job now. But, we may see an M50 III with no crop 4K in the future, say a year from now. And, the M6II will deplete in inventory till gone. Shame on Canon. I think it’s a disservice myself.

The end? M isn’t dead yet, but it’s clear it’s being sunset, with the M6II going first.

Its clear the R7 is the new 7D, and the R10 is the new 80D/90D. Think birders and vloggers. Both target DSLR conversion. Neither target the M itself, just the M6II. Perhaps we’ll get an M6 III? We’ll never know without Canon saying so. And the silence is saying a lot. No in my book.

Lastly, I do think Canon is giving DSLR crop shooters a “bridge”, and there’s alot of em still out there. But there is cross over with the M6II which is a casualty of the war so to speak.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +1 more
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS M6 Ricoh Caplio R7 Ricoh R10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
MAC
MAC
MAC
KEG
KEG
MAC
KEG
MAC
KEG
KEG
MAC
MAC
MAC
KEG
KEG
MAC
MAC
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow