A1 or wait for A7RV?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jrp Contributing Member • Posts: 544
A1 or wait for A7RV?

I shoot mostly land / cityscapes but also regularly take family shots, often in poor light.

I left the A7RII behind for the superior ergonomics and spectacular lenses of the Leica SL systemUnfortunately, the SL system is heavy (when combined with MacBook Pro and iPad for travel). I have injured my collar bone so have reverted to the A7RII with Sony/ Zeiss 35mmf2.8, 55mm f1.8 and Batis 85mm f1.8 and 25mm f2. These are pretty good lenses but the images are less clean than the SL line. The A7RII viewfinder and rear screen are also a regression.

The SL bodies are not great at capturing moving people / animals, for when I need to do that reliably. Their high ISO performance could be improved, too. I see that some of the GM lenses appear to be greatly improved over the original E mount lenses.

So the question arises, should I get a more contemporary Sony system to save weight and gain moving subject AF performance? (The current Sony bodies and lenses have gained wright, but are still a bit lighter than some of their L-Mount equivalents, although Sigma and Panasonic have produced some more compact and performant lenses recently.)

An A1 is hard to get, expensive, and a bit lighter than an SL2. The A7RIV has more resolution than these, but the internal processor is a generation behind the A1. Presumably the processor will come in the A7RV, so that would be a more sensible choice.

The Sony lenses I would take would probably be the 50mm f1.2, 24mm / 35mm f1.4, 20mm f1.8 and 135mm f1.8, which seem to be well reviewed and approaching, if not exceeding, the performance of their Leica / Sigma peers, with an extra stop (although the Leica's superior IBIS and narrow field of focus may at least partly offset that).

The alternative would, I suppose, be to stick with the heavy SL2 body (which I like) and buy some lighter L-mount lenses from Sigma instead.

What does the panel think?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9) Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow