Nikon Z7ii - how to set "i" menu in "U1" mode

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BeckyW Regular Member • Posts: 302
Nikon Z7ii - how to set "i" menu in "U1" mode

I have only had my Z7ii for about a week. My previous camera was a Nikon D5100. Obviously, I have a steep learning curve I'm trying to climb. I have watched hours of YouTube videos on setting.

The main thing I am photographing right now is cats with an animal rescue. Ambient light in the room is pretty bad. I'm in a corner. I have two softboxes (constant led light) and a hotshoe mounted LED light panel. So day-to-day my lighting is the same. I use a colorful fabric backdrop and a white fur rug. Cats can vary in size from a 4 week old kitten to a 15 lb cat (so I end up with more or less white rug in the photo). Cats may be medium in color or solid white or solid black. You never know what is coming next, and they come quickly. Not much time to get your wits about you.  I'd like to set my camera up with my gray card with a consistent Shutter Speed/Aperture/ISO that works for my lighting situation using one of the user modes. Black cats and the white rug is particularly confusing to the meter.

I have customized my "i" menu, but when I swap to the "U1" mode my "i" menu is different. I'm struggling to figure out how to change my ISO off Auto. I don't know how to make the "i" menu match what I had set up while in "A" mode. What I don't understand is that if I switch to "M", "S" or "P" mode, then I have my customized "i" menu. If I switch to "U1", "U2" or "U3" it is different.

-- hide signature --

Becky

with a new Nikon 7ii & 24-200/4-6.3

BeckyW's gear list:BeckyW's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Z7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow