Zuiko 75-300 vs EF 70-300 non-L?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bas Hamstra Senior Member • Posts: 1,860
Zuiko 75-300 vs EF 70-300 non-L?

I have developed an interest for the zuiko 75-300 lens, based on reviews and an analysis of bird pictures on Flickr. I know the rep of this lens is not stellar, but still I am curious. There is some evidence that it is quite good from 75-200, so that's good. Softening at 300.

I also have the Canon 70-300 on a 6d and it performs well, I must say. I wonder how the 75-300 II would compare to this lens in terms of sharpness? I think I can get one for around 250$. The Canon up close is actually great (somehow I often seem to agree with Ken Rockwell on lenses), but for far away birds I often miss a bit of reach.

Has anyone experience with both of these? Here is a duck-shot from the Canon lens for reference:

(I really shouldn't have 2 systems, but the alternative is worse)

Kind regards,

Bas Hamstra

Bas Hamstra's gear list:Bas Hamstra's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +12 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow