Considering a GFX50R for only Vintage Manual Lens am I crazy?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gatorengineer Regular Member • Posts: 175
Considering a GFX50R for only Vintage Manual Lens am I crazy?

Current A7R2 user, Amateur, Shoot mostly Portrait, Street, and Landscape.  I use the A7R2 with only manual vintage glass, I do have the first rev of the Sony 35 F1.4 somewhere but the plasticrap of this lens bothers me so I never shoot it.  To me part of the joy of the hobby is the tactile feel of the lens, and frankly I am old enough to have started long before auto focus.

Every comparison I see of the Fuji Medium format stuff is done at basically infinity focus or stopped down to a very deep depth of field, and the reviewer says see no difference.

I have a very nice Vintage bucket of glass, all FF, or Rangefinder and what I have seen browsing all of the online stuff is that there seems to be something special about the focus transitions and the pop on this camera when glass is shot wide open, especially vintage glass.  I also like the idea getting a little wider field and a little shallower DOF relative to a Native lens on the Fuji.

Am I out in left field and the pics that impress me are just by "better than average photographers" or is there something special with this camera and vintage glass?

thanks for any input.

PS  Yes I also know Fuji Native glass is generally excellent, but frankly not in the budget.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow